Subject: Dolphin

Dolphin

From: David Gray <d.gray>
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 2001
We have a 50 year old dolphin specimen in our collections in need of
treatment. Parts of the skin that have rested on the shelf have fat
oozing through them. It has been suggested that to remove the
fat--the areas should be swabbed with acetone and any residual
solution soaked up with a sepiolite.

If anyone has used this technique I would be interested to know how
well it worked and if anyone can supply another method or reference
to other methods I would be very grateful.

David.R.Gray
Conservation Scientist
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road