Subject: Sepiolite

Sepiolite

From: Beth Richwine <richwineb>
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 2001
I have been reading Susan Buys and Victoria Oakley's book
Conservation and Restoration of Ceramic (Butterworth, 1998) and they
mention using Sepiolite clay for poulticing.  I would like to try it
but have been unable to find it in any of the catalogs we currently
have in the lab.  I understand it is hydrated magnesium trisilicate.
Does anyone know a source, or better yet is there a reason I should
not try it?

Beth Richwine
Senior Objects Conservator
National Museum of American History