Subject: Gloves for handling glass objects

Gloves for handling glass objects

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2001
Patti Gibbons <Patti_Gibbons [at] orbit__adler__uchicago__edu>

>Can you suggest the best type of gloves to use while handling
>undecorated glass objects. Would it be best to use unpowdered latex
>gloves, cotton gloves with rubber grips, or simply bare hands?

In answer to Patti Gibbon's inquiry regarding what type of gloves to
wear when handling undecorated glass objects, my answer is a simple
"none". So, simply "bare hands" (clean and dry) is my
recommendation.

The most important point in handling glass is to have a good grip or
hold on the surface. I would much rather have to clean off a few
fingerprints than have to repair a glass which has been broken
because it slipped out of someone's grip because they were wearing
gloves.

Gloves should also not be worn when handling cut glass, crizzled
glasses, cold painted glasses, and ancient glasses with any
weathering or corrosion, for the obvious reason that gloves can get
caught on protruding surfaces and either cause slippage, or surface
loss.

Gloves can be worn when handling acid-etched glasses, which are
extremely sensitive to staining from oils, but it may not be
necessary if there is an "un-etched" area to handle the piece by
(usually the base and the rim). Gloves should also be worn when
handling the metal fittings or frames that hold certain types of
glasses. When we need to use gloves, we use plain, cotton gloves.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way