Subject: Leather dressing

Leather dressing

From: Joe Spoor <kmfdm1>
Date: Saturday, January 20, 2001
My question is, I recently purchased a 28 volumes set of Sir Walter
Scott bound in full calf. They have decorative gilt spines. The calf
is not decorative, just plain. In the past I have used saddle soap
to clean and dress leather volumes but found it darkened the leather
much more than I desired. With these volumes I would like to
preserve the current color as much as possible. I have been told a
mixture of neatsfoot oil and lanolin is very good. On the same hand,
I have read more current views are not to dress the leather at all,
as it has detrimental effects. I realize the seriousness of picking
out a proper dressing, if one is used. I have read there are many
variables such as original tanning procedure, type of leather, etc
that affect what you should do with volumes regarding dressing. My
simple goal is to make sure these volumes are preserved and do not
degrade any farther. I also would appreciate any direction in
finding good reading material on leather preservation; it is hard to
find or come by.

Joe Spoor
Bookseller Monthly

                 Distributed: Monday, January 22, 2001