Subject: Conservation of our own careers

Conservation of our own careers

From: Joyce Hill Stoner <jhstoner>
Date: Monday, January 15, 2001
    **** Moderator's comments: Normally repeat postings are not
    permitted but for reasons of my own, an exception is being made
    in this case. Please respond directly to the author.

Dear colleagues, for AIC 1987 in Vancouver I gave a talk on "The
Aging of Conservators" and what we can do to conserve ourselves.  I
am now working on a presentation for Texas AIC about the
conservation of our careers.  I sent out this survey in August and
got some fascinating responses, and with Walter Henry's indulgence,
would like to post one more time (in the doldrums of winter) to see
if others might be willing to answer all or part of the following
questions:

Conservation of our own careers

Dear colleagues: I am now working on a presentation about
conservation of our careers.  I have received fascinating responses
via the Conservation DistList on the Internet.  I would be grateful
for answers to any or all of the following questions.

    1.  What about your daily life as a conservator causes you the
        most stress?

    2.  Have you thought about seeking an alternative career?  If
        so, what?

    3.  What tasks of your day do you enjoy the most?

    4.  What part of your job demands would you most like to assign
        to someone else?

    5.  Have you worked in different venues?  (e.g. private lab,
        museum, regional lab)  Observation re. differences would be
        *very* welcome.

    6.  What was missing from your original training that you've had
        to teach yourself?

    7.  Can you see yourself doing what you're doing now until
        you're 90 years old, as a number of colleagues have done?

    8.  Do you know someone who has left the profession who might be
        willing to discuss the reasons for such a decision?

    9.  How long have you been in the field?  Optional:  Where did
        you receive your original training?

Please return to:jhstoner [at] udel__edu
or to

    Dr. Joyce Hill Stoner
    Winterthur/UD Program in Art Conservation
    Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE 19735

Dr. Joyce Hill Stoner

                 Distributed: Monday, January 22, 2001