Subject: Storing batteries

Storing batteries

From: George Bailey <george.bailey>
Date: Friday, January 12, 2001
Chip Larkin <chiplarkin [at] att__com>

>If anyone else has grappled with these issues--whether or not to
>keep batteries associated with an object, and if yes, how to store
>them--your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Although I don't have any data or references to support my opinion
on this matter, I think that, where possible, batteries should be
removed from objects, or at least electrically isolated from the
object.  Dry cell batteries have a habit of "leaking" or "sweating"
which is really corrosion within the battery. As most dry cell
batteries contain chlorides, a leaking battery can do a great deal
of damage to surrounding metal. Most batteries, including dry cell,
require moisture to function. By storing the batteries in a cool dry
place you should be able to reduce the chemical activity within the
battery, thereby reducing the risk of the battery leaking.

George Bailey
Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial

                Distributed: Saturday, January 13, 2001