Subject: Elephant trunk ventilation systems

Elephant trunk ventilation systems

From: Howard B. Wellman <wellman>
Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2001
Donia Conn <bookconservator [at] yahoo__com> writes

>We are in the process of designing a new 6000 square feet building
>for a private conservation practice and want to incorporate an
>elephant trunk system in the lab areas.

The Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory uses Plymovent
ventilators in its four main treatment areas, in addition to
laboratory fume hoods and area fume hoods.  Plymovents come in a
variety of sizes, and have a boom system called FlexMax, so we can
reach up to 20 feet from the walls to wherever the work is taking
place.  The built-in work lights are very useful.  These units are
strong enough to capture solvent fumes, as well as dust from light
carpentry or plexiglass cutting and air-scribing of marine
concretions.

Our Plymovents are all ducted and ventilated in pairs, and
separately from the other ventilation systems, which we have found
to be a real saviour when fan motors are taken out for
maintenance--we always have ventilation somewhere if one unit is out
of service.

Howard Wellman
Lead Conservator
Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory
Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
410-586-8577
Fax: 410-586-3643

                Distributed: Saturday, January 13, 2001