Subject: Elephant trunk ventilation systems

Elephant trunk ventilation systems

From: Donia Conn <bookconservator>
Date: Tuesday, January 9, 2001
We are in the process of designing a new 6000 square feet building
for a private conservation practice and want to incorporate an
elephant trunk system in the lab areas.  There are two lab areas
measuring 2000 and 1000 square feet.  I have a few questions
regarding the trunk system for the exhaust of solvent vapors.

Who is a reliable manufacturer of these systems in the US or Canada?
We are planning on putting in a separate shop with a spray booth for
toxic exhaust of Beva in its many forms(this brings up a whole other
lot of questions but that will be in a subsequent inquiry), would
the trunk system tie into this or be completely separate?

Likewise, would it tie into a fume hood system?  We are planning on
having positive ventilation in the building, how would this affect a
trunk system?  Would we want one system for both labs (paintings and
paper) or separate systems?  Finally, I would like the opinions of
anyone with these systems on how they work in different situations
to help in our decision making process. Our budget is also, of
course, a concern for purchase and maintenance.

Donia Conn
West Lake Conservators
PO Box 45
Skaneateles, NY 13152