Subject: Storing batteries

Storing batteries

From: Chip Larkin <chiplarkin>
Date: Tuesday, January 9, 2001
At our archives we are currently processing a number of cellular
telephones into our artifact collection. All of these items contain
batteries of one type or another. Most of the batteries are fairly
standard, but some may be a little less common. We are concerned
that over time these batteries will leak corrosive chemicals,
damaging the artifact and creating potential health hazards.

One option is to simply remove the batteries and dispose of them in
a proper manner. However, if we do this, are we destroying the
integrity of the object, lessening it's historical interest years
from now? To maintain the integrity of the object, we could remove
the battery and store it separately. If this second option is
chosen, the question then becomes what sort of enclosure would we
use to both preserve the battery and maintain a safe environment for
the staff?

If anyone else has grappled with these issues--whether or not to
keep batteries associated with an object, and if yes, how to store
them--your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Chip Larkin
Archivist/Collection Development
AT&T Archives
5 Reinman Road