Subject: Acquisition of library materials

Acquisition of library materials

From: Wendy Jones <wajones>
Date: Thursday, January 4, 2001
We have a query regarding the acquisition of retrospective material
and its impact on the Preservation Department.  Much of the material
(pre-1950) is brittle or in adhesive bindings where the adhesive is
breaking down.  We want to work with the collection development
selectors and help them determine the 'real' cost of adding the
material, which often includes protective enclosures or
reformatting.

Do other libraries or institutions have guidelines that flag these
acquisitions as likely to need attention before being added to the
collection?  What are you doing to deal with this problem?

Wendy Jones
Charlotte Payne
Preservation Dept., Shields Library
University of California, Davis 95606