Subject: Mounting an iron sign

Mounting an iron sign

From: Gail Gali Beiner <g.g.beiner>
Date: Friday, January 5, 2001
I have recently received for conservation an enamelled iron sign
from a Welsh mine. After the necessary cleaning and consolidation,
the sign has to be hung up on a wall in a house in Wales (not an
environmentally controlled gallery). I'm presently looking for
appropriate materials for that purpose: the idea is to block damp
and salts from the wall from touching the sign, while providing a
'bed' for the sign to be attached to in a 'natural looking' way.
Some of the ideas I came up with ranged from oil-tempered hardboards
to perspex (it would be preferable if the back would be visible,
too), the type of materials used for backing paintings. I'd be happy
to receive any other suggestions or references on the subject of
backing and hanging heavy metal plates.

Gali Beiner
Conservation Intern
Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery