Subject: Cooperative disaster preparedness

Cooperative disaster preparedness

From: Lynn Campbell <lynn.campbell>
Date: Monday, January 8, 2001
Audrey Yardley-Jones <conservation [at] museumsalberta__ab__ca> writes

>I am interested in the concept of communal disaster
>supplies--sharing salvage and recovery supplies between museums.
>While this is a common recommendation in disaster preparedness, I
>would like to hear from people who have actually set up a system.
>Advice about what works and what doesn't would be much appreciated.

Here in Canterbury, South Island New Zealand we have a supply of big
pieces of equipment such as wet and dry vacuum cleaners,
dehumidifiers,a generator, materials and advice from a team of
experts.  The equipment is supplied by the Professional Conservators
Group called the New Zealand Professional Conservators Group.

The Equipment is stored in the Art Gallery and its use can be
requested by any cultural institution.  The equipment is
administered by the Canterbury Disaster Salvage Team which is made
up of professionals from Museums, Art Galleries, Universities,
Libraries and Archives.  This team also runs a workshop once a year
for all interested parties on topics of disaster preparedness. They
also produce a newsletter.

If you require any further information please feel free to contact
me

Lynn Campbell
Conservator
Robert McDougall Art Gallery