Subject: Cooperative disaster preparedness

Cooperative disaster preparedness

From: Audrey Yardley-Jones <conservation>
Date: Thursday, December 28, 2000
I am interested in the concept of communal disaster
supplies--sharing salvage and recovery supplies between museums.
While this is a common recommendation in disaster preparedness, I
would like to hear from people who have actually set up a system.
Advice about what works and what doesn't would be much appreciated.
Specifically, I would like to know:

    *   where are the communal supplies located? (i.e., in a
        separate storage facility; in participating institutions)

    *   how is the initiative financed?

    *   how is it maintained? (who is responsible for re-stocking
        supplies, etc.)

The only example I have heard of is Artlab Australia. Are there
other examples of communal supplies out there?

Audrey Yardley-Jones
Conservation Co-ordinator
Museums Alberta
9829 - 103 Street