Subject: Supports for large paintings

Supports for large paintings

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Friday, December 22, 2000
Catherine Myers <csmyersc2 [at] aol__com>

>I would appreciate hearing ideas about new supports for large mural
>paintings, or plaster panels. I am working on two large (10 X 7
>foot) fragile plaster of Paris bas reliefs.

Anne Rosenthal, Tony Rockwell and I conserved a near 2,000 lb
painting by Jay DeFeo using a custom designed composite support
adapted from the air plane industry.  You can review that design by
looking at an article from our talk at the AIC Paintings session in
1997 which was printed in the Paintings Specialty Group Postprints.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 3, 2001