Subject: Storage of paintings

Storage of paintings

From: Colin Neal <cneal98>
Date: Saturday, December 23, 2000
Melanie Martin <melanie [at] edunet__tc__columbia__edu> writes

>Our library has inherited a number of very large damaged oil
>paintings in heavy gilt frames which we are planning to put into
>long term storage until they can be repaired.  Some have glass. We
>also have several frames without the paintings in them. I have been
>asked to wrap them to protect them from further damage. What is the
>recommended material for this? They are very large, some 4 x 6
>feet--too large for any packing boxes I have been able to locate.
>Some have glass....

Marvelseal-360, might be a good material to wrap around the
paintings, I use it as a moisture barrier in the back of my
preservation framing packages it is fairly inexpensive and I
purchase it from Lineco. It comes on a roll 48" x 50ft. very easy to
cut and soft and pliable, impermeable to moisture. The acid free
corrugate mentioned before I would agree would be a good material to
wrap the corners with but might be a little on the expensive side to
use. Therefore I would first wrap the paintings in marvelseal then
place a packing material on the outside, corners. Stacking them on
their sides with possible foam core in between should do it. Good
luck. P.S. Placing some 2x4's down first and laying the marvelseal
over them might help in getting the frames up off the floor in case
of flooding.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 3, 2001