Subject: Reducing stains on linen using dry pigments

Reducing stains on linen using dry pigments

From: Anne Maheux <amaheux>
Date: Monday, December 21, 1998
I am a paper conservator collaborating on the treatment of a Matisse
serigraph on natural-coloured linen (L'Oceanie: la mer).  We have
not been able to determine if the linen has been dyed.  We are in
the process of reducing a nasty stain with sodium borohydride
bleach, but a pale stain remains in the fabric after the treatment.

I am aware that conservators of modern and contemporary paintings
sometimes use dry pigments to soften tidelines and stains. Are good
quality pastels acceptable for this purpose?  Does anyone have
experience with the reversibility of such an inpainting medium, and
would the minimal amount of binder present in the pastel pose a
problem?

Anne Maheux
Conservator of Prints and Drawings
National Gallery of Canada