Subject: Exhibition lighting for fluorescent ink

Exhibition lighting for fluorescent ink

From: Alison Luxner <conserv.bac>
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 1998
We are planning an exhibition of contemporary prints, including two
which are printed in fluorescent "glow in the dark" ink.  We plan to
use a UV light source to make the ink glow.  The UV lights will be
hooked to some sort of motion activated switch so we are not
blasting the prints with uv light for the entire length of the
exhibition.  The goal at the moment is to find a light source that
is strong enough to make the ink glow, but not any stronger than it
needs to be. Has anyone out there had experience exhibiting
fluorescent materials?  What solutions did you come up with? Did
they work well?  Does anyone have any thoughts on the stability of
these inks?  Will they continue to fluoresce after extensive
exposure to uv light?  All thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Alison Luxner
Associate Paper Conservator
Yale Center for British Art

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 16, 1998