Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Teri L. Herbert <herbertl>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 1998
The following is posted on behalf of Karen Roth

    Date: 10 Dec 98
    From: Karen Roth <mpmlib [at] gte__net>
    Subject: Mold in the library

    The bound journal volumes in the medical library have developed
    mold, due to the humidity level in the library.  We've already
    had the air vents and ducts cleaned once and a fungicide
    "sprayed" in here. We're also planning on buying one or 2
    dehumidifiers since this problem will never be completely
    abated.   But I still need to clean the mold off the volumes.
    The hospital has given me a heavy duty form of Lysol, which I've
    tested on one of the volumes with good results.

    Does anyone have suggestions on what else can be used to use to
    clean the mold?  I'm reluctant to use the Lysol; it's really
    meant for nonporous surfaces, definitely not books.  Diluted
    bleach in water seems very harsh, but could be the best mold
    remover available.

    Karen L. Roth
    Medical Librarian//Morton Plant Mease Health Care
    323 Jeffords Street, MS 28
    Clearwater FL 33756
    727-462-7889
    Fax: 727-461-8755