Subject: Book drops

Book drops

From: Annie Armour <aarmour>
Date: Monday, December 14, 1998
My boss asked me to look into stand alone book drops because our
Friends of the Library want to give money for one to make it easier
to return books. There is a parking problem around the library and
many older or handicapped persons find it pretty impossible to get
close to the building.

I told him I was against the idea (and for all the reasons listed in
the list archives) but would look into brands people found as good
compromises.

So, do any of you out there know of a specific model that is a least
of evils?

While on the subject, I'd be curious to follow up on a suggestion
Ellen McCrady made several years ago.  How many places have been
successful at eliminating or restricting book drops?  Would you
email me and identify yourselves?  I'll summarize for the list.  Our
book drop is only open when the library is closed (1 am to 7:30 am).

And one more question--has anyone offered a pick up service or some
other alternative so a book drop is not needed? Thanks,

Annie Armour
Jessie Ball duPont Library
University of the South
Sewanee, TN