Subject: Storage of microfilm masters

Storage of microfilm masters

From: Maria Esteva <patrimon>
Date: Monday, December 14, 1998
In Rosario, a provincial city in Argentina we are developing a
microfilm project. For the first time we are following all the
conservation standards in order to have a master copy that will last
according to preservation needs. We are also developing the system
to digitize the copies in order to give them access. Unfortunately,
the cold storage area design and construction for the masters is
coming a little bit slower and the masters are already being
produced.

I have read somewhere (I am sorry for being so unprecise about that)
that the masters could be stored in refrigerators if they are well
wrapped with paper, aluminium foil, and plastic. We have been
searching for an adequate refrigerator. We found that the ones that
have a glass in front can go down to -2 degrees Centigrade, but the
manufacturers told us that they will take the same humidity that
there is in the room according to the quantity of times that the
doors are opened and because they have  air circulation inside since
it is a non frost refrigerator.

Is there any other suggestion on how we could solve this problem?
Unfortunately in Rosario the levels of humidity are very high and
uneven. We are worried that the masters will have to stand almost 8
months until they could be placed in  adequate storage conditions.

Maria Esteva
Book conservator
Buenos Aires
Argentina