Subject: Storage of cutting tools

Storage of cutting tools

From: Ingo Carow <s0162653>
Date: Thursday, December 10, 1998
Jim Moss <clkmkr [at] tiac__net> writes

>I have just received a large collection  of new very expensive
>cutting tools made of High Speed Steel (HSS). I will need to store
>these for the next 25 years or so. They will be used intermittently
>during this time and it is possible that not all of them will be
>used (ie they may be in storage for the duration).

As I suppose these tools are not museums objects, I would like to
describe a good practice we used to use in our workshop. Just put a
thick layer of grease onto the surface of each tool (warming up the
grease might help you to avoid not covered areas). Then rap a sheet
of silicon paper around each one to keep the dust away. Labeling
might be a good idea as well. In the case you need one tool, just
unwrap it and wipe away the grease. I hope that helped,

Ingo Carow - student of engineering conservation, Berlin

                Distributed: Tuesday, December 15, 1998