Subject: Carpeting

Carpeting

From: George W. Cannon <gwc4>
Date: Wednesday, December 9, 1998
two carpeted gallery spaces in our museum.  It's a commercial grade
cut pile that I have no information on because it has been in the
museum for many years.  We have recently replaced carpet in several
administrative areas however including our print room.  For the
most part we have used carpet tiles because of their ease of care
and replacement.

Our print room was carpeted with Lee's Faculty 4 in a loop pile.
Underneath was a Shaw Duratec 16 lb. pad secured with a pressure
sensitive adhesive to the concrete floor.  The carpet is made from a
vat dyed synthetic (can't seem to locate the actual makeup) with a
rubber backing.  It's quite fade resistant and individual tiles can
be pulled and replaced easily.  We have similar materials in some of
our offices and in our passenger elevator.

The main thing to keep in mind if you go the direction of tiles is
to buy extra at the same time from the same die lots to make sure
you have replacements that will match.

George Cannon
Preparator
Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art