Subject: Cellulose ethers as consolidants

Cellulose ethers as consolidants

From: Ralph Spies <rspi0091>
Date: Wednesday, December 2, 1998
In the course of a task for a diploma at the Fachhochschule
Hildesheim/ Holzminden in the subject Conservation/ Restoration of
wall-paintings and stone-objects I work in the field "consolidation
of powdering water-binded paint layers on polychrome
stone-sculptures". Above all I am interested in the use of Cellulose
Ethers as a consolidation medium (especially hydroxypropylcellulose
HPC--"Klucel(r)"), it's historical use, aging, change of optical
properties, consolidation results etc.. For restriction of the
subject I want to deal with egyptian sculpture in museal
environment.

If somebody has own experiences in this subject, or could help me
with some further information, I would be very pleased to hear from
you many thanks in advance

Ralph Spies

                 Distributed: Tuesday, December 8, 1998