Subject: Clock labels

Clock labels

From: Gail McLain <oldtime>
Date: Thursday, December 3, 1998
We are clock restorers and we are searching for more advanced
methods of preserving deteriorating paper clock labels in antique
clocks.  We have extensively searched horological resources, and
have found only the following information.

The most common method of preservation other than doing nothing at
all, is to use a 50/50% solution of Elmer's Glue and water carefully
brushed over the paper while it is in place in the clock. This seems
to be a widespread practice.

We have read a very brief article about using an acrylic resin
varnish that was said to be reversible (?) called Soluvar. Although
it was said to turn the paper darker, it would soften the paper and
make it more pliable. In the same article was a mention of the
professional method of lifting the paper from the wood, rebuilding
it with "mulberry" paper, applying a chemical preparation, and then
reapplying the label to the wood.

So far this is all we have found.  We are hoping that someone has
knowledge of and would share with us more about the above methods,
or about newer more effective ways to preserve these old clock
labels.

Gail & Billie McLain
Old Time
Antique Clock Preservation