Subject: Storage of cutting tools

Storage of cutting tools

From: Jim Moss <clkmkr>
Date: Friday, December 4, 1998
I have just received a large collection  of new very expensive
cutting tools made of High Speed Steel (HSS). I will need to store
these for the next 25 years or so. They will be used intermittently
during this time and it is possible that not all of them will be
used ( ie they may be in storage for the duration). I am soliciting
you help in determining the best solution to storage: I would like
the sharp edges to remain sharp, I would like no corrosion to take
place. They must be easily accessible. I am aware that certain
plastics can cause corrosion of metals as does wood. At present they
are individually housed in small plastic containers (material
unknown at this time) with removable caps. My studio environment
varies from 60 to 78 F year round and 20 to 45 RH. It is situated in
a dampish area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Moss
Horological Conservator
James Moss Clockmakers, Inc.
Littleton, MA 01460