Subject: Cold storage

Cold storage

From: Michele Hamill <mh92>
Date: Tuesday, December 8, 1998
We are interesting in hearing from institutions who have built cold
storage vaults (preferably within the last 5-10 years).  To aid in
our planning process, we would appreciate information based on your
experience concerning:

    1.  Design and construction specifications (including vault
        size, staging areas, storage equipment and furniture)

    2.  Environmental conditions maintained

    3.  Vendor information and selection

    4.  Cost (construction and maintenance)

    5.  Access issues (physical and intellectual)

    6.  Types of materials stored in the vault

    7.  Advice or suggestions on any aspect of cold storage

Michele Hamill
Department of Preservation and Conservation
B-31 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY  14853

                 Distributed: Tuesday, December 8, 1998