Subject: Unpaid positions

Unpaid positions

From: Margaret Holben Ellis <mhe1>
Date: Sunday, December 6, 1998
With the agreement of both Chris Tahk and Debbie Hess Norris, I
should like to respond, simply for the sake of accuracy, to Victoria
Bunting's suggestion that graduate training programs change their
curricula and class size in response to the current economic climate
(Conservation DistList Instance: 12:49, December 2, 1998).  The
preparation and placement of our graduates is an on-going concern
and a topic that is discussed at every annual AGPIC (Association of
Graduate Programs in the Conservation of Cultural Property) meeting.
Indeed many changes have been made.  Managerial and administrative
topics are covered within such formats as semester-long seminars,
periodic lectures, and summer and intersession workshops as each
program finds appropriate. Sensing shifts in the profession,
entirely new areas of specialization have been introduced and
incorporated into the permanent curricula of the Programs.  For
example, the unique problems encountered in sympathetically treating
objects of material culture are now addressed through courses
offered by all three programs.  All three now include fundamental
courses in photographic materials conservation.  Other underserved
areas in the profession have been identified and include preventive
conservation, natural history collections and the built environment;
all of these topics are now covered by one or more of the Programs.
Others are in the planning phases.

As I stated, this message is meant simply to serve as
clarification--the graduate training programs have and will continue
to respond to changes in the marketplace and make changes
accordingly. The thorough preparation and successful placement of
our graduates will always be of paramount importance to us since,
after all, we rely upon them to be our most effective ambassadors.

Respectfully submitted,
Margaret Holben Ellis
Sherman Fairchild Chairman
Conservation Center