Subject: Geckos

Geckos

From: Shelley Sass <sks3>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 1998
Lydia C. Egunnike <l.egunnike [at] snark__slq__qld__gov__au> writes

>One of our collection areas has become home to a colony of geckos.
>As these little chaps can excrete a white alkaline substance, we are
>obviously concerned.

Working in Puerto Rico I have "lived" among the geckos. (ours
preferred the cutlery drawer in the kitchen.) Although I can't offer
a tested solution I would like to make a suggestion.  If you have
attracted a colony of geckos then there must be an adequate supply
of insects for their dining pleasure. Naturally the insects would
also pose a problem to your collection.  Try eliminating the insect
population and adjust the environment to make the area less
desirable to both geckos and insects.  The geckos prefer warmth and
humidity. Since these conditions may be difficult to counteract in
your environment increase air circulation in the space between the
ceiling and the false ceiling. A constant air flow will make the
space less comfortable for them.  With diligence and patience maybe
all the critters will relocate to a "better" neighborhood.

Shelley Sass
Conservation Center, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University
14 East 78th Street, New York, NY 10021

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1998