Subject: Composition of grease

Composition of grease

From: J. Claire Dean <clairedean>
Date: Wednesday, December 2, 1998
I am posting this query on behalf of a colleague who doe not have
access to this list.

    I am trying to locate information on the composition of
    materials used during the Overland Migration (1840-1869).
    Emigrants used various mixtures of so-called "axle grease" which
    journals described compositionally as bear or buffalo grease,
    pine tar, and gunpowder.  In later times "sheep paint" may have
    been used. Thanks,

    Jim  Henderson
    Applied Photographic Research
    804 Center Street
    Oregon City, OR 97045-1951
    503-655-6817
    Fax: 503-722-5243

J. Claire Dean

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1998