Subject: Wax and earthquakes

Wax and earthquakes

From: Jamie Hascall <jhascall>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 1998
In the course of mounting objects for seismic stabilization, various
types of sticky waxes (Quakewax TM, dental wax) have been used to
adhere suitable objects such as glass and high fire ceramics to
display surfaces. My question involves the safety of using these
types of waxes on the surface of finished wood furniture. Since
microcrystalline waxes such as Renaissance Wax are used to protect
the surfaces of fine furniture, would there be any  possible danger
of staining or other lasting damage to the finish or underlying wood
from the spot usage of similar waxes to hold down objects displayed
on it's surface? Could the preemptory application of a rubbed layer
of microcrystalline wax act as a barrier layer to any penetration by
the holding wax? I have previously advised clients against the use
of holding waxes on fine surfaces for fear of spotting, but have
found myself questioning such concerns. Any thoughts on the subject
would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie Hascall
Hascall Museum Services
3052 15th Ave. W.
Seattle, WA 98119

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1998