Subject: Unpaid positions

Unpaid positions

From: Gretchen Fulforth Stroh <gstroh1>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 1998
Becky Cameron <cameronr [at] srv4__lib__ed__ac__uk> writes

>It strikes me as being rather cheeky to hope to take advantage of
>the fact that there probably are people in the field of preservation
>without paid work, who may feel that a voluntary project is better
>than nothing.  Or am I just over reacting--what does anyone else
>think?

Unfortunately libraries are right up there with museums having
over-educated people being underpaid.  The worst paid are probably
librarians in museums.  Those of us who love books or arts are
always aching to be working with those things, so we sacrifice pay
to be with those things.  Can you see the day that we have
stockbrokers volunteering to do whatever they do for the love of it?
I think not. Just a thought,

Gretchen Fulforth Stroh
Materials Processing Assistant
McCabe Library, Swarthmore College
500 College Ave, Swarthmore PA 19081

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1998