Subject: Marking RC prints

Marking RC prints

From: Joice Himawan <admin>
Date: Wednesday, December 2, 1998
Ani Orchanian <ani_orchanian [at] pmh__toronto__on__ca> writes

Carolyn Murphy <carolynmurphy [at] qcc__qld__gov__au> writes

>I am curious about such procedures in museums and art galleries. Is
>it common practice to write accession numbers or other
>identification codes on the items themselves?

Here at the Massachusetts Historical Society, whenever possible we
always write identification numbers/codes on the items themselves in
some unobtrusive spot.  We have found that items can (and do) get
separated from their containers, so we feel that it's in everyone's
best interest to make sure that the object cannot be separated from
its ID number.

Joice Himawan
Conservator

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 2, 1998