Subject: Japanese paper in book repair

Japanese paper in book repair

From: Randy Silverman <rsilverm>
Date: Wednesday, November 25, 1998
I would deeply appreciate assistance in documenting the earliest use
of Japanese paper for mending book paper.  The specific term
"Japanese paper" occurs in U.S. and English manuals from the 1910
period (e.g., Dana, "Notes on Bookbinding for Libraries," Chicago:
Library Bureau, 1910, p. 75, and, Coutts and Stephen, "Manual of
Library Bookbinding," London: Libraco, 1911, p. 131), but I'm having
no luck uncovering earlier references.  I am also peripherally
interested in the documented use of Japanese paper for repairing any
western papers to develop a historical context, but the primary
inquiry is its application for book repair.  Many thanks in advance
for your thoughts on this topic.

Randy Silverman
Preservation Librarian
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
801-585-6782
Fax: 801-585-3464

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 25, 1998