Conservation DistList Archives [Date] [Subject] [Author] [SEARCH]

Subject: Marking RC prints

Marking RC prints

From: Ani Orchanian <ani_orchanian>
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 1998
Carolyn Murphy <carolynmurphy [at] qcc__qld__gov__au> writes

>Does anyone have any suggestions for the best material to use to
>write accession numbers on RC photographs (and slick-surfaced
>digital prints)?

In our archives, though we don't have many prints, accession numbers
for all items, whether audio-visual or textual are written on the
containers and not the actual items. If these are photographs, any
numbering is written on the Mylar envelope/enclosure with film
marking pens; if the item is in an acid free folder or box,
identification numbers are written on these in pencil. If warranted,
we will resort to artifact identification tags.

I do know of other institutions that use a very soft pencil to number
the backs of photographs.

I am curious about such procedures in museums and art galleries. Is
it common practice to write accession numbers or other
identification codes on the items themselves?

Ani Orchanian
The Toronto Hospital

                  Conservation DistList Instance 12:47
               Distributed: Wednesday, November 25, 1998
                       Message Id: cdl-12-47-005
Received on Tuesday, 24 November, 1998

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://