Subject: Soot on wall painting

Soot on wall painting

From: Montserrat Le Mense <montserrat.lemense>
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 1998
Barbara Cerrina <nina [at] digicolor__net> writes

>We need to clean a ceiling painted with tempera that is actually
>covered with a thick lay of soot.

There is a chemical sponge that has been used for dry removal of
soot and grime in many conservation projects.  I've heard it
referred to by several names (I've even seen it in a Harriet Carter
type catalogue as the Gonzo Sponge) so I assume there are several
different manufacturers. Here is one:

    DOVER (TM)
    Dry Wall Sponge
    The Quality Rubber Co.
    Sedalia MO  65301 USA

I believe they were especially designed to remove soot and smoke.
They are very easy to use and fairly inexpensive.  They can be
washed and reused, but with diminishing ability to absorb dirt. If
the painted surface can stand up to being wiped or dabbed, this may
be a good option.

M. Le Mense
Paintings Conservation
Williamstown Art Conservation Center
Williamstown, MA

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 25, 1998