Subject: Beva film

Beva film

From: Tim Vitale <tjvitale>
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998
John Burke <jb [at] museumca__org> writes

>The original formula for BEVA 371 calls for a combination of
>cyclohexanone resin (Ketone-N, Larapol K-80 or similar) and some
>ethylene vinyl acetate resins (Elvax or similar) along with a few
>other additives.

I have had the same experiences with BEVA (Berger Ethylene Vinyl
Acetate) and won't use it because of the smell.  It is my
recollection that the ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) component
imparted the lingering smell.  In times past, the components came in
parts and you mixed it yourself.  It was easy to determine that EVA
was the lingering smell, in the late 70's.  To confirm today, get a
sample of EVA and smell both. If you have access to head space gas
analysis by GC, give it a try. Also note that EVA smells forever. It
has been my assumption, that BEVA will smell forever.

Timothy Vitale
Preservation Associates

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 18, 1998