Subject: RC papers stained by ink

RC papers stained by ink

From: Istvan Kecskemeti <istvan>
Date: Monday, November 16, 1998
We have 70 water damaged Agfa chromogenic 8x10" color prints on
glossy RC paper from year 1995. One problem with these prints is red
drawing ink at the back of the print where it has transferred to the
emulsion side. The ink can be removed partially from the back of the
print with acetone or xylene (not with water, ethanol, toluene) but
not at all from the emulsion side with any of these solvents. If
anyone facing or solving this problem could advice us we would be
very happy.

Istvan Kecskemeti
Photograph conservator BA/BSc
Arkistovedos Oy, BOX 17, 03601 Karkkila, Finland

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 17, 1998