Subject: Beva film

Beva film

From: Family Galea <silvmari>
Date: Friday, November 13, 1998
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh [at] idt__net> writes

>I do not often use Beva, but I am testing it now for a very strange
>treatment, and find the smell is driving me nuts.  I have been using
>the solution of 371.  Does anyone have experience in using Beva film
>instead, and is the smell problem substantially reduced?

If you are thinking of using Beva film the problem of smell is
eliminated,as no solvents are involved in its application. However
heat at a temperature of 65 Celsius has to be used in order to reach
the fusion point. If heat is a problem for the work of art you
intend to restore, the film can be fused at a lower temperature of
40 celsius if you mist spray it with white spirit. You  may use a
hot air jet, heated spatula, or an iron, depending on the work being
undertaken.  Experiment first, if you need more help please let me
know.

For your other questions, the smell you are referring to is probably
Toluene, Benzene, or Xylene. All are harmful substances and the
necessary safety precautions in their handling is strongly
recommended.

Mario Galea
Senior Restorer of Paintings
Museum of Fine Arts Valletta, Malta