Subject: Fabric stiffener

Fabric stiffener

From: Jeffrey Crunk <jcrunk>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender

I have cross-stitched Christmas ornaments on white cotton hardhanger
fabric using DMC cotton thread and Kreinik gold metallic thread. The
completed designs are about 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 in.  The instructions say
to use a fabric stiffener on the back of the cross-stitched designs
to complete the ornaments.  I would like advice on a stiffener that
would be "archivally" or "conservationally" safe.  I would like to
find a stiffener that will allow the white of the hardhanger to
remain white for the longest length of time possible and the thread
in the ornaments to retain their current appearance.

Sharon Siske-Crunk
Jeffrey Crunk
3114 Heatherwood Ct.
Lawrence, KS  66047

                Distributed: Thursday, November 12, 1998