Subject: Polyvinyl acetate emulsion

Polyvinyl acetate emulsion

From: David Gray <d.gray>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 1998
The following is posted on behalf of A.M. Doyle

    Can anyone recommend a conservation grade polyvinyl acetate
    emulsion which we can use as an adhesive and as a consolidant in
    conservation (we use ours for the conservation of sub-fossil
    bone). Our usual product, Vinamul 6825, is no longer
    manufactured and I have been unable to find a suitable
    alternative which in an ideal world has the following
    properties:

        As close to neutral ph as possible
        High plasticiser content
        Small particle size
        Negatively charged
        Homopolymer
        Matt or semi matt finish
        Colourless and transparent film on drying.

    Also, if there is anyone out there who uses these emulsions
    (dispersions?) in conservation  and could recommend one ( even
    if it does not fulfill all of the above criteria), then please
    get in touch.  Thank you,

    A.M. Doyle
    The Natural History Museum.
    Conservator, Palaeontology Conservation Unit
    Cromwell Road
    London SW7 5BD
    England
    a.doyle [at] nhm__ac__uk

David Gray
Conservation Scientist
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
London SW7 5BD

                Distributed: Thursday, November 12, 1998