Subject: Paper stained by windex

Paper stained by windex

From: Daria Keynan <dkeynan>
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 1998
I have an Ellsworth Kelly print which was stained with Windex  (a
lot of it, bright blue)  It is a screen print with embossing on
Special Arjomari paper.  The manufacturers of Windex say it is a
water soluble dye and it will come out in the laundry.  Water tests
on suction disc were unsuccessful as were every conceivable
combination of acid-base reactions with dilute acidic and dilute
ammonium hydroxide, alcohol and acetone alone and in combinations
also proved useless. (all tested on suction disc).  The manufacturer
will not say what the dye is or what stabilizers might be in it.
They assured me it will bleach, which it may, but I'd rather not do
that if I have an option. Has anyone come across this problem and
solved it?

Daria Keynan
212-645-5245
Fax: 212-645-2590