Subject: Photographic documentation of mold-damaged postcards

Photographic documentation of mold-damaged postcards

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Friday, November 6, 1998
Does anyone have suggestions on how we can photograph, photocopy or
microfilm a collection of about 2,300 mouldy postcards without risk
of contaminating work areas, equipment, other collections materials,
or the photographer?  We have rejected the option of removing the
mould before photo documentation--it would be far too time consuming
and expensive. Now it seems we may simply document the material and
then either dispose of it or keep it sealed away forever.

We have already spent some time working out procedures for safely
handling mouldy objects in our fume hood.  Could we set up a copy
stand or microfilm reader in the fume hood?  How would we keep it
uncontaminated?   What if we decide to do colour photocopies?  Would
the easiest thing be to put each postcard in a ziplock bag or a
plastic folder before photocopying it?  If we did seal the objects
in individual ziplock (or heat-sealed) bags would they no longer be
a hazard, and would it then be possible to keep them and allow
researchers access to them?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience or
inspiration to offer.

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture