Subject: Epoxy and flooring

Epoxy and flooring

From: Jane D. Ketcham <ketcham>
Date: Thursday, November 5, 1998
Craig Deller forwarded a question about the use of epoxy paint on
the floors of a gallery.

I have used a two-part, water based epoxy paint to seal wood
components used in constructing shelves for storage of paintings.
The particular brand we used is made by a local paint manufacturer
(Mautz). According to research done by Pamela Hatchfield and others,
2-part, water-based epoxies are among the types of sealers that
present the least problems with off gassing after they are cured.
They cure by polymerization, as opposed to simple evaporation, and
if mixed properly all of the polymer is "locked up" in the curing
process. They must be two-part systems (a small proportion of
catalyst mixed with the bulk solution before use), and water-based
to avoid the usual problems with off gassing associated with any
oil-modified coatings.

I can say that the mixture is quite potent before it sets. We used
plenty of ventilation (open windows and fans), and everyone in the
building could tell when we were working with it. By the next day,
however, you could put your nose on the painted wood and not smell a
thing. While not a very scientific method, it is a good indication
of the properties of curing by polymerization. It was recommended
that we allow an additional 7-10 days for cure to complete hardness.
We applied two coats, which created a tough, durable surface.
I hope this information/experience is helpful,

Jane Ketcham
Beloit, WI

                 Distributed: Monday, November 9, 1998