Subject: Blocking of 20th century coated papers

Blocking of 20th century coated papers

From: Amanda Clydesdale <mandyc>
Date: Tuesday, November 3, 1998
Among the material we are freeze-drying for a client are a number of
bound volumes of "Country Life", between 1900 and 1930; they are
printed on semi-gloss glazed paper. Many of them had dried around
the edges before they could be salvaged: these dried areas remain
stuck together after freeze-drying, although can be separated with
care and the application of a small amount of IMS. They can be
air-dried fairly successfully if thawed, although the dried areas
remain stuck together, and the covers of the bound volumes tend to
distort. On several volumes the dried area is too great to allow
separation. I've found one reference that mentions this, but with
no information on how to overcome the problem: any ideas?

                 Distributed: Tuesday, November 3, 1998