Subject: Epoxy and flooring

Epoxy and flooring

From: Craig Deller <craig1708>
Date: Friday, October 30, 1998
I have been sent this query and turn to the list for help.  The
questioner works in a contemporary art museum and is looking for as
much info on the subject as she can get, particularly any "war
stories" that people have encountered.  She is not on the list but I
will forward any and all responses.

    Our museum is looking into replacing the carpeting in the
    galleries with an industrial epoxy enamel paint on preexisting
    cement or an epoxy-terrazo flooring.  Could you put this out to
    the list to see if anyone knows of any off-gassing problems this
    might create? We are planning to remove all the art work from
    the gallery before we do the floors.  We have a constant volume
    HVAC system that averages 6 air exchanges per hour in the
    galleries which open onto a lobby with a variable air volume
    system.  Positive pressure in the galleries keeps the VAV system
    air out of the galleries.  I too am not sure why the admin is
    looking at painted cement except that we have it in the
    temporary galleries and it looks good with the art installed
    there.  I have just consulted a conservation chemist on the
    virtues and perils of epoxy but I could use some more opinions
    about first-hand experiences with various one and two part
    epoxies--and if anyone found any problems with their art work
    (metal corrosion blah blah blah) or visitor complaints while the
    process was going on.

Craig Deller

                 Distributed: Monday, November 2, 1998