Subject: Pest management

Pest management

From: Jacqueline Millard <jmillard>
Date: Thursday, October 29, 1998
Regarding silver fish control, I have a very old recipe [Journal of
Agriculture, March 1941] for what was claimed to be an effective
silverfish bait.  It appears safe to use in collection spaces and
came with good reference;  however I make no claims as to its
efficiency as I have never rigorously put it to the test. We have
some made years ago  and they show no signs of mould or other
deterioration.

    Plain flour, preferably wheat               115g
    Sugar                                       115g
    Salt                                          4g
    sodium fluosilicate , powder                 30g
    gelatine, dissolve in a little of the water  14g
    Water                                       1.2L

Cook the flour and water to make a paste, stir in the other
ingredients. While still hot thickly coat sheets of cardboard--mount
board scraps or something similar.  When dry cut into suitable sizes
and mark in some way to indicate what they are.  They last for ever
and are safe for humans.

                 Distributed: Monday, November 2, 1998