Subject: Storage of cigarette packages

Storage of cigarette packages

From: Bonnie Baskin <bbaskin>
Date: Saturday, October 24, 1998
Does anyone have experience in storing cigarette packages?  At the
San Francisco Airport Museums, we've received several hundred
historical and modern boxes and packs.  There's been a curatorial
decision to discard cigarettes wherever the package allows, unless
cigarettes are aesthetically remarkable.  Emptying (thereafter
re-joining) packages has indicated intensive infestation, as well as
acid burning where cigarettes touched packaging papers.  All
packages, from cellophane-sealed and full to emptied, retain an
aroma we suspect could attract continued infestation.  What
de-infestation methods have people tried, and with what outcomes?
What storage containers, and storage guidelines, have people used?
Thank you for your help.

Bonnie Baskin
Assistant Conservator
San Francisco Airport Museums
1766 El Camino Real
Burlingame, CA 94010

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 28, 1998