Subject: Sprinkler systems

Sprinkler systems

From: Roger Wulff <museplan>
Date: Friday, October 23, 1998
In regards to [Elana Makridou's] questions about sprinkler systems,
I help plan and manage "The National Conference On Cultural Property
Protection" which has been sponsored for the past 22 years by the
Smithsonian Institution. Next year--7-12 March 1999 in Los Angeles,
CA USA--we are being hosted by The Getty where we will be meeting
with the International Committee On Museum Security of The
International Council of Museums.

Fire Protection--detection and automatic suppression is a most
important topic at all of our conferences.  Someone once said, "if
someone steals an artifact from your institution, you may get it
back 15 to 20 years down the road--but if that artifact is destroyed
by fire, its gone forever."  Fire is the greatest risk to an
institution--its people, its buildings and its collections--and
automatic sprinkler systems are the best and most cost effective
means to prevent that destruction.  They should be used throughout
the entire building complex.  If properly designed and installed,
they are safe and will not leak.  If you would like back-up
documentation, contact Andy Wilson, Chief, Fire Protection Division
at the Smithsonian Institution or Sjur Helseth, Head of Section for
Development, Technical Department, Directorate for Cultural
Heritage, (Central Office of Historic Monuments and Sites), Norway.
Kind Regards

Roger Wulff

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 28, 1998