Subject: Mount board

Mount board

From: Stephen Todd <stephen.todd>
Date: Friday, October 23, 1998
The third UK symposium  on the standards of mount board
(USA = matboard) was held in London on September 20th. The symposium
consists of delegates from major UK and US mountboard manufacturers,
converters and distributors, the Institute of Paper Conservation,
the Fine Art Trade Guild, museum based paper conservators, freelance
framers and conservators.

Key issues that have been discussed were descriptors such as 'acid
free' and 'neutral pH' and 'archival quality'. The content,
construction and composition of so-called museum and so called
conservation board was examined in some detail.

I have been asked to circulate the findings of the symposium in
respect of these two types of board, to board manufacturers and
distributors in the United Kingdom and Eire.

If you are a manufacturer of mount board, or a distributor selling
in the British Isles, using terms such as 'acid free' 'conservation'
'museum' or any other term which implies a degree of safe use by
conservators/ framers could you contact me so that I can appraise
you of what is happening, and receive your input. I should emphasise
that the meeting is coming at this mainly from the perspective of
framing works of art on paper and photographs.

If you are simply an interested party, you may wish to visit the web
site that I am running,
<URL:http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~todnet/>, which has details
on discussions prior to September 20th, now, and those on that day,
shortly.

Stephen Todd
Co-ordinator - UK Symposium on Mountboard
6 Ack Lane West
Cheadle Hulme
Cheadle
Cheshire SK8 7EL
UK
+44 0-161-486 0021
Fax: +44 0-161-485 1221

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 28, 1998