Subject: Pest management

Pest management

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Friday, October 23, 1998
This is in response to Jennifer Brand concerning silverfish.  My
experience in applying reagents in settings with humans present
argues against toxic chemicals, but I have had good experience in
the use of Boric acid as a deterrent.  Many pest control
professionals have told me it would not have any affect, but the
outcome has been across the board very satisfactory.  I would not
use it where a cat will be present, as they will ingest a
considerable amount from licking themselves.  I've also noted that
many people who had allergies to most reagents used to control pests
do not complain about Boric acid.  But if it is applied and found to
be problematic, it can be vacuumed up and then mopped to eliminate
it.  Application to areas around water sources and along the floors
at walls is all that is necessary in most situations, although
application in an archive may require local treatment.  Many insects
ingest the Boric acid which dissolves their digestive tract and they
also carry it back to nesting areas where it is transferred to
friends and family. Barbara Appelbaum or Dale Kronkright may have
some comments on this I would believe.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 28, 1998